Would you like to be able to plan your own routes or take friends and family out for a walk? Join Emma or Andy for a day in Rutland or the Peak District and learn to navigate by understanding how to read a map in details and use a compass to gain confidence whilst walking in the countryside.
This day is for beginners and so no prior knowledge is needed at all. These are some of the skills we will aim to cover:
- Orientate the map with a compass and by using handrails, features and land forms
- Use linear features as handrails
- Relate landforms such a hills and valleys to the contours on the map
- Measure distance on the map and estimate distance on the ground
- Use 4 and 6 grid references
- Plan and implement simple routes
- Recognise a navigational error and apply simple relocation techniques
- Have an awareness of the Countryside Code
Meet in the morning at a designated starting point and spend up to 5 hours walking and learning together in a small group. You will need suitable walking kit, waterproofs, packed lunch and drinks. You will also need a laminated map and compass for the day or these can be provided for you at an additional cost. Bring some money for the all important hot or cold drink in the local pub for the end of the day!
“Just to let you know we did our first post course walk today, without getting lost! It was only 5 miles but a new walk for us and our dog covering part of the Leicestershire Round around Bagworth, Barlestone and Nailstone… we are pleased with our success and thank you again for teaching us so well. In the next couple of weeks we’re hoping to go to the Peak District around Blackshaw Moor and The Roaches. Once again, many thanks for an enjoyable day.” SD, October 2019
“Thank you so much for today. It was great to meet you. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was very reassuring to be taught by someone who is obviously an expert in this area. To me the distance and amount of tuition was just right. I really like the idea of being able to navigate and now need to practise.” EC, November 2019